When Americans are surveyed about their primary concern regarding pharmaceutical medicines, their most frequent response is that they worry about the side effects of taking prescription drugs. They say things like, “When I see an ad for a drug, the list of side effects takes up the majority of the advertisement, not the potential benefits of the drug. Something is wrong with that picture!” Or they’ll say something to the tune of, “I want to take medicine, but I’m worried about all of the potential side effects!”
And those are legitimate concerns. While pharmaceutical drugs stand in the foreground as the current standard of medical care in America, there is no denying that prescription drugs do carry the risk of unwanted side effects.
Thankfully, there are alternatives to pharmaceuticals, alternatives that do not have side effects.
Examining the Side Effects of Pharmaceutical Drugs
The risk for side effects is present in almost all pharmaceutical drugs. This risk leads millions of Americans to feel quite hesitant, even disinclined, about taking prescription drugs. And understandably so, given the hazardous nature of some side effects.
Even the governing body that regulates pharmaceutical drugs admits that such drugs do have side effects. Quoting the Food and Drug Administration on the subject, “Drugs approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for sale in the United States must be safe (which means that the benefits of the drug appear to be greater than the known risks) and effective. However, both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs have side effects. Side effects, also known as adverse events, are unwanted or unexpected events or reactions to a drug. Side effects can vary from minor problems like a runny nose to life-threatening events, such as an increased risk of a heart attack.”
Here are some of the most common side effects that people experience from taking common pharmaceutical drugs:
- Heart issues
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach upset
And here are some common drug types and the side effects most frequently associated with them:
- Antibiotics: Nausea, diarrhea, rash, yeast infection, fever
- Antidepressants: Weight gain, insomnia, nervousness
- Antihistamines: Drowsiness, insomnia, overall weakness
- Asthma medications: Nervousness, sweating, nausea, vomiting
- Decongestants: Nose bleed, nasal irritation
- Diabetes medications: Nausea, heartburn, a sense of fatigue, dizziness
- Heart and blood pressure medications: Dizziness, drowsiness, chest pain, a loss of appetite, leg pain
- Heartburn medications: Constipation, bloating
- Pain relievers: Stomach upset, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), nausea
Shockingly, even though the FDA only approves drugs if, as their documentation states, “… the benefits of the drug appear to be greater than the known risks…” some pharmaceutical drugs include death as a potential side effect. This is especially notable with psychoactive prescription drugs (mind-altering prescription drugs).
For context, here is a brief look at several well-known psychoactive prescription drugs and how common they are (based on the number of times they are prescribed in the U.S. each year):
- Xanax (alprazolam), 48.5 million prescriptions written per year.
- Zoloft (sertraline), 41.4 million prescriptions written per year.
- Celexa (citalopram), 39.4 million prescriptions written per year.
- Prozac (fluoxetine), 28.3 million prescriptions written per year.
- Ativan (lorazepam), 27.9 million prescriptions written per year.
- Desyrel (trazodone HCL), 26.2 million prescriptions written per year.
- Lexapro (escitalopram), 24.9 million prescriptions written per year.
- Cymbalta (duloxetine), 18.6 million prescriptions written per year.
- Wellbutrin XL (bupropion HCL XL), 16.1 million prescriptions written per year.
- Effexor XR (venlafaxine HCL ER), 15.8 million prescriptions written per year.
But what are some of the effects of drugs like these? Looking at one drug, Xanax, consider the following potential side effects:
- Poor balance or coordination
- Slurred speech
- Trouble concentrating
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Memory problems
- Upset stomach
- Blurred vision
- Appetite or weight changes
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Muscle weakness
- Increased sweating
- Dry mouth
- Stuffy nose
- Loss of interest in sex
That’s a large number of potential, unwanted side effects just from one pharmaceutical drug. Yet Xanax is prescribed 48.5 million times per year, just in the United States alone!
Alternative Health Options – The Benefits of Natural Dietary Supplements
One of the beautiful things about natural supplements, organic nutrients, and alternative medicines that are plant-based is that when these supplements are taken correctly, they rarely produce unwanted side effects. And even when they do, it is usually only because the person taking them had an unknown food allergy to one of the plants or minerals used in the supplement.
Natural supplements are called such because they do not have chemicals, fillers, synthetic compounds, additives, metals, and other man-made compounds. When you supplement with healthful nutrients like those offered by Immune Solution, you’re adding high-quality nutrients to your diet and doing your body a favor in the process.
Dietary supplements are so beneficial that they even receive the endorsement of the National Institutes of Health. Quoting their documentation, “Dietary supplements can help you get adequate amounts of essential nutrients if you don’t eat a nutritious variety of foods. Dietary supplements can improve overall health and help manage some health conditions.”
While it is true that the best way to be healthy is to maintain a healthy diet and get regular exercise, nutritional remedies and dietary supplements do give people an additional health boost. The Food and Drug Administration even endorses nutritional supplements for their ability to give people extra nutrients, especially when they have a vitamin deficiency or a mineral deficiency.
Quoting the FDA’s literature on the subject, “Some supplements can help assure that you get enough of the vital substances the body needs to function; others may help reduce the risk of disease. But supplements should not replace complete meals which are necessary for a healthful diet – so, be sure you eat a variety of foods as well.”
Raw Organic Kamut Wheatgrass Powder – A Powerful Natural Health Boost
For the best dietary supplement with no unwanted side effects, we strongly recommend our customers try our Raw Organic Kamut Wheatgrass Blend, an ancient wheatgrass that has many benefits, including:
- Digestive aide (high in digestive enzymes).
- Prebiotic (feeds good gut bacteria).
- Regulates and improves bowel movements.
- The product helps reduce acid reflux (restores alkalinity to the body).
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory (helps normalize body function without inflammation).
- Assists in healthy weight loss (increases strength and energy while cutting sugar cravings).
- Adds vitamins and minerals and improves blood sugar levels.
- Detoxifies the body (cleanses the blood and removes unwanted chemicals and toxins).
- Supports healthy immune function.
- It combats fatigue and helps increase energy by oxygenating the body.
The above is just a glimpse at the potential benefits of Immune Solution’s Organic Kamut Wheatgrass. And while the list of potential benefits may be close to infinite (every customer gets a somewhat different experience from the Organic Kamut Wheatgrass, as the non-GMO, non-crossbred, nutrient-dense heirloom-seed Egyptian wheatgrass gives their body what that body needs).
Currently, when you buy one large Organic Kamut Wheatgrass in conjunction with one Organic Beet Root Powder, you can save $10 off your purchase! Just add both items to your cart, and we’ll do the rest.
Questions? Watch Our Videos, Read Our Blogs, Or Contact Us!
If you have any questions about any of our health products, skincare, natural weight loss, herbal remedies, dietary supplements, cleanses, or beauty products, we’d love to hear from you! And if you’d like access to a goldmine of free health information, tips, strategies, healthy weight loss ideas, illness prevention information, and guides to healthy living, check out our blog page. (We also recently started adding quick, helpful videos to our blogs!)
Here’s to a healthful Spring!
– Ren Brabenec
Immune Solution Writing Staff
My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right! This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent researching this info! Thanks!